Click Below to Listen
February 2, 2021
Jesus Gives Me Rest
Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
We Need Rest
Today we wear busyness like a badge of honor. We live with overstuff calendars, endless to-do lists, and the constant pressure to get more done. Many of us live our lives running from one event to the next. We end our day falling into bed, knowing it will all start again too soon.
Even when we do go to bed, many of us suffer from restlessness and worry.
Jesus promises rest for those who follow Him. When you come to Him, He gives rest to your soul. Here are three areas where you find His rest.
1. Rest from the Burden of Sin – The guilt of past mistakes, rebellion, and regrets can be a tremendous load to carry. Jesus came to remove the burden of sin. As Jesus hung on the cross, He took on the burden of your sin. Sin is too heavy a load to carry yourself. Many of us are carrying a burden Jesus has already taken away.
2. Rest from the weight of religion. The religious leaders of Jesus’ day had created a complicated system for pleasing God. Religion is always about keeping the rules. Those rules are like heavy weights around your neck. You will never measure up to the demands of religion. Jesus invites you into a relationship with Him, not a religion of rules and regulation. Through Christ, you can stop trying to “please God” and rest in what Christ has done for you. You can rest in a daily walk with Him.
3. Rest in the security of your salvation. One definition of rest is when something is fixed or settled. The issue of your salvation is settled. If you have placed your faith in Christ as your Savior and Lord, your salvation is secured by the Lord Jesus Himself. You can rest in the promise of eternal life.
You can’t work your way into rest; Jesus gives it freely. All you need do is receive His rest by faith.
Look at that promise one more time,
Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. – Matthew 11:28-29
Confess this with me.
- In Jesus Christ, I have rest.
- I receive rest from trying to be good enough for God.
- I have rest from my past guilt, shame, and regret.
- Today, by faith, I claim my rest in Christ.
In Jesus name,
I am praying that you enter into the rest Jesus promises you.
If you haven’t gone through Praying for Pastors, let me encourage you to sign up. Your pastor needs your prayer support as never before. Go to www.prayingforpastors.com to sign up for free.
How have you experienced God’s rest in your life? Share in the comments below.